MERION STATION, Pa. – A strong doubles performance by the Saint Joseph's men's tennis team laid the foundation for an overall victory as the Hawks swept all three doubles matches and the top four singles flights en route to a 5-2 win over St. Bonaventure at the SJU Tennis Complex on Sunday.
The Hawks wasted no time getting started, as Eshan Kanetkar and Nathan Perrone claimed a 6-3 win in the second doubles flight before Beekman Schaeffer and Dan Tan clinched the point with a 6-2 win in the first. Andre Fick and Johnnie Massart polished off the sweep with a 6-3 result in the third.
Perrone then started singles play with a 6-4, 6-1 win in the first flight before Massart rolled, 6-3, 6-3, in the third.
SJU's senior leaders then finished off the win, as Tan brought the Hawks to the cusp of victory with a 6-3, 6-2 win in the fourth flight, before Fick sealed the affair with a 6-4, 6-2 decision in the second.
“It was a solid win today that started with a great performance in doubles,” assistant coach Marc Pibernat said. “We came out knowing what needed to be fixed from the day before, and that was perfectly executed in doubles. We stayed strong in singles and were able to win four out of six; however, as I told the players, we still have room for improvement, especially in things that are under our control, such as staying focused and competing the entire match.
“Overall it was a positive weekend for the Hawks, which will give us confidence to go and face this week with four matches in six days.”
The Hawks will play the first of those matches on Tuesday afternoon when they host Delaware.
Saint Joseph's 5, St. Bonaventure 2
1. Beekman Schaeffer / Dan Tan (SJU) def. Lukas Linden Malmberg / Indra Patwardhan (SBU), 6-2
2. Eshan Kanetkar / Nathan Perrone (SJU) def. Marco Rivolo / John Rutkowski (SBU), 6-3
3. Andre Fick / Johnnie Massart (SJU) def. Logan D'Angelo / Martin Estevarena (SBU), 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Perrone (SJU) def. Patwardhan (SBU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Fick (SJU) def. Estevarena (SBU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Massart (SJU) def. Malmberg (SBU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Tan (SJU) def. Rutkowski (SBU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Rivolo (SBU) def. Luis Janko (SJU), 6-2, 7-6 (5)
6. Jonni Heikkila (SBU) def. Schaeffer (SJU), 6-3, 2-6, 10-5 (STB)
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 2, 6, 5
Singles: Saint Joseph's 65, St. Bonaventure 44
Doubles: Saint Joseph's 18, St. Bonaventure 8
Total: Saint Joseph's 83, St. Bonaventure 52