ORLANDO, Fla. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team saw its season come to an end on Thursday morning as the ninth-seeded Hawks fell to eighth-seeded Duquesne, 4-1, in the first round of the 2019 Atlantic 10 Championship at the USTA National Campus.
The Dukes took the early lead after securing the doubles point with wins in the first and third flights. Duquesne then claimed a victory in the second singles flight for a 2-0 lead.
Sophomore Nathan Perrone got the Hawks on the board in the first flight, cruising past Chris Corrao, 6-2, 6-2, but Duquesne earned wins in the fifth and sixth flights to close out the match and advance to the quarterfinals.
With his win, Perrone finished the season 15-5 in dual match play in the first singles flight, tying him for the second-most wins in the top flight in a single season in program history. Senior Andre Fick also wrapped up his career in a tie for sixth place on the Hawks' all-time career singles wins list with 58.
Duquesne 4, Saint Joseph's 1
1. Jared Isaacs / Alex Mascioli (DUQ) def. Beekman Schaeffer / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-2
2. Chris Corrao / Joey Matthews (DUQ) led Eshan Kanetkar / Nathan Perrone (SJU), 5-4
3. Dane Bendel / Alejandro Rodriguez-Vidal (DUQ) def. Andre Fick / Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Perrone (SJU) def. Corrao (DUQ), 6-2, 6-2
2. Rodriguez-Vidal (DUQ) def. Fick (SJU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Mascioli (DUQ) led Massart (SJU), 6-3, 1-6, 1-0
4. Luis Janko (SJU) led Drew Akins (DUQ), 7-6, 3-2
5. Isaacs (DUQ) def. Tan (SJU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Matthews (DUQ) def. Schaeffer (SJU), 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 5, 6
Singles: Duquesne 57, Saint Joseph's 44
Doubles: Duquesne 17, Saint Joseph's 10
Total: Duquesne 74, Saint Joseph's 54